Spread The Word to End The Word.
March 2nd - National Spread the Word to End the Word Day.
I had been working on coordinating an event to help spread the word on campus. But then I got sick and I was not able to be as involved as I had hoped.
As today quickly approached, I realized that I could help in another way, and that is where this post comes in.
As today quickly approached, I realized that I could help in another way, and that is where this post comes in.
I ask one small favor.
If you choose to continue reading this post, please know that it is a topic that is very close to my heart.
The story is of an event that changed my thinking and my way of living.
It was a moment of ignorance that has lead to increased humility.
Please be kind, and respect my thoughts.
Here's my story.
When I moved to Casper to attend school I started working with a non-profit organization called The Arc. This particular organization works with children with special needs. I worked at their inclusion program for a few months and then I added outside shifts which allowed me to take the kiddos out into the community. I absolutely loved my job. I never missed a day. Even when I didn't feel well I knew if I just got there things would be better. I knew I would be too busy helping these amazing individuals to worry about myself. Sometime after spring break I was offered to coordinate the summer program. I felt torn for various reasons. After much thought and prayer I decided to stay in Casper for the summer and take the position. As soon as I made up my mind I felt a great sense of relief. I knew that I had made the right decision. I threw myself into my job, and worked very hard to learn everything that I could. I loved my job even more than I did before. I was getting some great hands on experience. I was learning a lot, and I was loving life.
Towards the end of a crazy week I was in the inclusion room talking with a few of my staff discussing events of the week. I was getting ready our weekly meeting. I got the information that I needed and then went type everything up. I spent most of the afternoon cooped up in the dark closet that doubled as my office. When I was finally finished I was exhausted. The events of the week had caught up with me. I figured that I had done all of my work so I would head home for the day. I went up front to let everyone know that I was headed out. As I got up there I realized that numbers were down and a few others were headed out as well. We ended up chit chatting in the front entry way. We were all off the clock and we were discussing plans for the evening. Someone said something along the lines of being ditched by a friend. I responded by saying, "Well that's retarded!" My boss came out of his office and mentioned how this statement could be hurtful to those around me. My face went red, and I tried to understand what he was saying to me. Quickly I concluded my conversations and then headed home.
I had never thought about the connotations connected to my words before. I grew up being told not to say certain words, but I had never thought about why I shouldn't say those words.
As I drove home I tried to understand how my simple sentence could be hurtful.
Here is what I figured out.
It was a simple sentence but,
I meant it in all the wrong ways.
I was insinuating that being ditched was a bad thing, and that it was horrible, lame, or stupid.
Being ditched is all of those things, but I used a slang form of the medical term that is the diagnosis most of the kiddos I worked with had been given. And I used it in front of them. As well as a group of people I was supposed to be setting an example for. I felt ashamed.
I have decided that there are no bad words, just words that have bad meanings. Meanings that we as society give them.
"When they were originally introduced, the terms “mental retardation” or “mentally retarded” were medical terms with a specifically clinical connotation; however, the pejorative forms, “retard” and “retarded” have been used widely in today’s society to degrade and insult people with intellectual disabilities. Additionally, when “retard” and “retarded” are used as synonyms for “dumb” or “stupid” by people without disabilities, it only reinforces painful stereotypes of people with intellectual disabilities being less valued members of humanity."-from the spread the word website.
As I mentioned before I was ignorant, but now I know better. And I promise to do better.
I know my words can be hurtful, and I work hard to mind my language.
"You may not realize how damaging the r-word can be. But when you use a slang like "retard" or "retarded," you're marginalizing and insulting millions of people with Intellectual Disabilities, their families, and friends. So now you know. And now you can do something about it. Take the pledge and put an end to the R-word."-from the spread the word website.
http://www.r-word.org/
I had never thought about the connotations connected to my words before. I grew up being told not to say certain words, but I had never thought about why I shouldn't say those words.
As I drove home I tried to understand how my simple sentence could be hurtful.
Here is what I figured out.
It was a simple sentence but,
I meant it in all the wrong ways.
I was insinuating that being ditched was a bad thing, and that it was horrible, lame, or stupid.
Being ditched is all of those things, but I used a slang form of the medical term that is the diagnosis most of the kiddos I worked with had been given. And I used it in front of them. As well as a group of people I was supposed to be setting an example for. I felt ashamed.
I have decided that there are no bad words, just words that have bad meanings. Meanings that we as society give them.
"When they were originally introduced, the terms “mental retardation” or “mentally retarded” were medical terms with a specifically clinical connotation; however, the pejorative forms, “retard” and “retarded” have been used widely in today’s society to degrade and insult people with intellectual disabilities. Additionally, when “retard” and “retarded” are used as synonyms for “dumb” or “stupid” by people without disabilities, it only reinforces painful stereotypes of people with intellectual disabilities being less valued members of humanity."-from the spread the word website.
As I mentioned before I was ignorant, but now I know better. And I promise to do better.
I know my words can be hurtful, and I work hard to mind my language.
http://www.r-word.org/

No comments:
Post a Comment